Re: Assignment algorithm?

On Thursday 14 November 2002 05:02, Harsha Narayan wrote:
> Hi,
>   I did not understand how a block gets picked - is it first fit or best
> fit or worst fit or a combination of these?
>
> From Section 7.1 of Northstar 1.6 documentation:
>
> "lowest network number" => first fit.
> "highest ranking" => worst or best fit. (ranking is determined by the size
> of the allocation).
>
> Thanks,
> Harsha

Sorry for the delay in answering.. your mail got mis-filtered

The algorithm is best fit.  The parameters that influence the block that is
picked are:

 1. Lowest network number (ie given x.x.1.0/24 and x.x.2.0/24 the 1.0/24 block
will be returned)
 2. Highest ranking (How many blocks of the same size are under the picked
block's supernet)
 3. The highest priority

--
| Hitesh Patel                    |  Lead Developer            |