NorthStar Development Update

Good morning everyone,

I want to take a minute and give everyone on the current development of
NorthStar.  First and foremost I have committed the 'Allocation Wizard' code
to CVS so if people could test that for me I would appreciate it.  You will
need to update your database schema from the 1.4 format by using the
update_1.5.<db>.sql file.  There are currently no other changes that are
going to be made to the db schema between now and the 1.5 release so everyone
should be good to go till a release after 1.5.

Second, I'm pushing the release of 1.5 back to 3/6/2002 (next Wednesday).
The current code slated for 1.5 has not had enough testing and there are a
couple more changes/features that I really want to get done to make 1.5 a
worthwhile update.  Some of those changes include:

   Audit Log Searching
     - view by category,date,etc..

   Get rid of Net::IP dependency
     - a patch provided by billy@nxs.net is much cleaner and provides a
       DRASTIC speed improvement

   Fix any outstanding tree update problems
     - As far as I can tell all of these problems have been taken care
       of, however, if anyone has additional problems with the tree not
       placing a net right please send be a dump of your 'networks' table
       so I can find any remaining bugs.

   Make CGI.pm v3.0 and above work
     - For some reason the 3.x versions of CGI.pm don't include the
       'Vars' call.  This is a problems because that call throws the
       form data into the %form hash, which, if you have looked at the
       code is used almost exclusively to get to the form data.  Hopefully
       this has just been renamed in 3.x so it will be an easy fix.  If
       it has been removed I will most likely re-implement in the NorthStar
       code for the time being and make drastic changes in a later version.

   Fix the last remaining tree view bug (that I know of)
     - The tree view screws up when the last item in the list is nested
       more then two levels.  This doesn't really mess anything up but
       is very annoying and confusing to look at.

If anybody can help with these items please make updates to the current CVS
version.  Most of this list should hit CVS today (I have a bunch of changes
left to merge), so hopefully the tree will be pretty stable by tomorrow
morning and only bugfixes will be applied.  The Plugin API will NOT make the
1.5 release.  Read on for more info.

Ok, enough of the present, on to the future.  Currently NorthStar has become
rather feature-rich, however, there are some underlying changes that need to
be made to provide for growth in the future.  One of my main concerns at this
point is the sheer size that the code is beginning to take.  As features are
added this will only increase and eventually slow the load time down to a
crawl.  Some solutions for this include mod_perl, splitting into different
scripts, etc., however, I believe that these solutions are only short term.

In planning for the 2.x versions of NorthStar I would like to split the
project into distinct client and server modules.  The client could be a
lightweight Perl/PHP/C/Python/C++ program, while the server would handle the
majority of the heavy lifting.  I've been trying to decide on a protocol to
use for this and I am teetering between XML-RPC, Proprietary, and HTTP.
Currently XML-RPC is ahead in the running because it is:

 a) less code to write
 b) fits what NorthStar is doing (sending a request and getting a set
    of data back)
 c) easily parseable across platforms/languages

If anyone can comments on advantages/disadvantages of any of the above, or
even suggestions for other protocols please feel free to mail your comments
to the list.

In terms of features for 2.x and beyond I would definitely like to implement
the following:

 - Plugin API (each module would have a separate server and client module).
 - Ability to assign a particular netblock to a user and let them
   administrate it
 - Make a Java version of the tree viewer.  It would provide better user
   feedback by just using and expandable tree object instead of reloading
   the entire page like it does now.  This would of course be configurable
   on a per user basis so the people that hate Java can stick to good ol'
   HTML.
 - Ability to set a status bit on a netblock (Reclaim, Closed, etc..)

I'm sure there's much much more I'm forgetting so send your feature requests
to the list ;-)

Ok, enough typing for me today.. have fun folks.

- --
| Hitesh Patel                    |  Lead Developer            |
| hitesh@presys.com               |  NorthStar                 |
| NorthStar: http://www.brownkid.net/NorthStar/                |
| PGP Key:   http://www.brownkid.net/pgpkey.asc                |