Re: Device question

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 05:02 pm, Erik Denny wrote:
> I just found and installed Northstar today.  WOW!
>
> I'm loving it so far.
>
> One thing I love is the ability to tie IP's to devices, and devices to
> locations, and devices to Owners (Customers).
>
> However, I can't do it backwards!
>
> If my Core is at	"A"
> 			"B" is a WAN node fed from "A"
> 			"C" is local ethernet segment on "B"
>
> I can add a /30 to "A", but there is no way to make that same /30 appear
> attached to "B".
>
> I see the same thing happening to /32's or even /24's- I want to allocate
> to devices on the network, but also reflect that they are "hanging" off a
> particular Device. (Like "C")

Hmm... (scratches head)

> Now that I've probably confused people, does this make sense?  Since I
> can't allocate the same space to 2 places/devices at once, is there a
> way/planned way around this?  Basically I want to be able to go upstream,
> as well as downstream.  Can we add an optional 2nd device allocation to an
> address space?

Ahh.. ok.. I think I understand.  Currently there is no way to do this,
however you raise an interesting point to be discussed.  We could possibly
make the device field a list instead of a specific number.  That way one
block could be tied to any number of devices... comments anyone?

> Also, we've found that Northstar isn't very Lynx friend, so I may have to
> convince my Chief Network Geek that this is a good product :)

Hmm.. well unfortunately i've become a whore to images and frames.  Maybe
someone could go thru the templates directory and modify it to be more lynx
friendly.  This could be hard though because there are bits of JavaScript
here and there that could be a pain because last time I checked Lynx doesn't
support JavaScript.  If anyone is up to the challenge let me know and I will
help as much as I can.

In the meantime get X running and download Mozilla!! ;-)

> ..erik

- --
| Hitesh Patel                    |  Lead Developer            |
| hitesh@presys.com               |  NorthStar                 |
| NorthStar: http://www.brownkid.net/NorthStar/                |
| PGP Key:   http://www.brownkid.net/pgpkey.asc                |